Thursday 27 February 2014

At the wire

I will soon be on my way to the airport, and I will be saying goodbye to my sister for awhile. This really is the wire: I was awake all night (I always am, the night before a flight. No idea why-anxiety, perhaps), so I got up and nebulized at 4am. Nuts? Possibly. But I am all packed-and ready to rupture myself carrying a full backpack and rolling a suitcase that weighs 65kg. That will cost me $100 in excess baggage fees-not a pretty sight!!

I would like to say I am rejuvenated-but that isn't exactly true. I might be rejuvenated after a facelift-or, in my case, a body transplant (a healthy one. Perhaps Angelina Jolie is available?). No, really-just joking (about Jolie)-and by the time someone figures out how to transplant a body without killing someone, I will be long gone. You will probably be long gone, too. So I realize I must do the best I can with what I've got-and, really, what I've got isn't too shabby.

It's been a good three weeks. I've rested, hung out with Jessie and the dogs and cats, walked dogs, helped clean the house and even helped do some cooking. And-I've eaten so much, you would think there was a famine on its way. Nobody can ever accuse me of having an eating disorder. When I lost all that weight last year, all someone had to do was send me here. That's the cure-much more fun than the noxious stuff they gave me to drink. Anyway, I didn't drink it (it all went down the drain. My drains were filled with vitamins). I ate pasta. And more pasta. Yum. I don't even need to eat to gain weight. I look at something fattening and I can just apply it to my hips.

So, the next post you read will come from London. Hopefully, the plane will be landing tomorrow morning, and there will be a taxi waiting-so someone else gets the hernia from lifting the suitcase.

I'm happy that I have pockets in my coat-wherever there is a pocket, I have filled it. I feel like a Sherpa. It will take a week to get over jet lag and two weeks for my back to return to normal! Will I ever learn to travel light? Probably not.

I'm sad to leave-I leave my sister behind, and that depresses me, because I am back in a place I don't especially like, among people I hold in the utmost contempt. But-as Jessie said, I am stuck there, and I need to find something good about the place, and focus on the good, not the not-so-good.

I'm thinking about that. I'm considering it. And I'm taking a pound of pastrami with me on the plane, so I can look forward to some decent food tomorrow (unless I get caught).

What can be bad about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment