Thursday 14 July 2016

Weapons of Mass Destruction

Hold the apocalypse. It's been three weeks since the referendum, and there still is no sign of Armageddon. There's been no great depression (except, perhaps, among the leavers), no people throwing themselves in front of moving vehicles...Cameron is out on his behind and we have a new Prime Minister: Theresa May (or may not), the former Home Secretary. There isn't even a plague. How very boring.

We do, of course, have weapons of mass destruction: politicians. And the media, of course, hacks who are unable (and unwilling) to provide anything that even has a whiff of real, objective news. So who knows exactly what is going on? Good question.

Everything happened really quickly. Cameron is out, May is in, and the big shock is that Boris Johnson is now Foreign Secretary. He will be the butt of all the comedians for some time to come-and the thing is, Boris is no fool. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be really good at his job (I hope). People are saying that he owes Obama an apology-but I think it's Obama who owes everyone an apology. After all, he took a taxpayer-paid holiday over to Britain and threatened us to make sure we all voted to remain in the EU. Obama. What a tool. So glad he is also on his way out the door; now someone else will be left to repair the damage. Hopefully.

And how am I in all this? Well...after awhile all the backbiting and nastiness gets a bit old. With the pound rallying, and the economy being restored (ish), people from both camps are still cursing each other (the remainers are doing most of the cursing. Idiots). Brain-deads are still brain-dead. And obnoxious. And rude. And pig-ignorant (sorry for the insult to pigs. Oink.). Those things never seem to change-except that there seem to be a lot more of them than I thought. The referendum seems to have brought all the brain-deads out from under their rock. Whatever. Pathetic, really.

Oh, yes-me. I'm actually feeling better since I went off Tamoxifen. I am a little apprehensive: I should have less brain fog. I should have fewer episodes of depression and anxiety. And I should have no leg cramps, especially at night. I should find that my hair grows back and my skin texture is better (it's as thin as a Kleenex at the moment). I should sleep better, too. I "should" start feeling normal. But-I have a greater chance of cancer returning. That makes me a little nervous. Well-that makes me very nervous.

It's only been a week since I stopped Tamoxifen. I did speak with Mr. Tan (oncologist) first; he said that I can stop, since I've been on it for three years. But-I've been searching online for answers to this dilemma. I consulted-as I always do-the Great God Google, and found masses of information, both for and against stopping. Now I will be checking with Cancer Care to see what they say. Forewarned is forearmed, and all that stuff. But as far as I can tell at the moment, the difference between staying on the drug and coming off-the re-occurrence of cancer against no cancer-is about 4%. That's okay, as long as I'm not one of the 4%! I'm going to give this a lot more thought. A lot more thought.

Meanwhile, I am going back to the gym. It's been a very long time-so I will start slowly. I will behave myself, too-no smacking idiots with my crutch. Perhaps I'll hit them with a hand weight instead?It works for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment