Wednesday 28 June 2023

Three weeks and I'm still not dead

Technically, it's been five weeks since the ablation-and I'm still not dead. But who's counting?

It's been so tough. the boiling heat of the past few days haven't helped. I'm definitely not a hot weather person. It goes above 20C (68F), I start to sweat, my hair starts to frizz (a white person with an afro-not a pretty sight). Then I get very short-tempered - even more so than usual. I'm from the land of air conditioning. I'll need a bigger fan. Or three. Or sleep in the fridge.

I went away for a week. I just had enough of people crashing into me because they didn't have the brains to look up from their phones. Then I remembered where I'm living. Stupidity is the norm; after so many years I shouldn't be surprised. So I picked myself up and went to a small bed and breakfast outside London. Trees, grass (the kind you walk on), a very small, one horse town (maybe even half a horse), and one main supermarket. One. No butchers, or greengrocers, but several hairdressers. So many hairdressers! People clearly have their priorities right...

And the heat really hit hard on Friday. I felt like I should just have someone put an apple in my mouth, stick me on a skewer, put me above the concrete, and keep turning until I reached well done (about twenty minutes). I felt sorry for the smokers. It was so hot and airless that I could barely breathe. Imagine someone who smokes two packs a day. They'd be dying. But-according to all the research, they're probably dying anyway. This would make it faster.

Tomorrow I will get weighed. I'm so (not) looking forward to it. I'm just bored by the whole thing. And two of our nurses just went out on maternity leave last week. Two-out of four. It must be something in the water-I know, I was just making a very bad joke. Blame the heat. I did say to one nurse last time that they couldn't have timed it better. Consultants are going out on strike again next month, nurses will be doing the same, and all the patients will have to learn how to cannulate each other. Hey - it'll be fun! More scars!

Just for a little perspective: my friend in Florida emailed me to tell me that last week the temperature in central Florida was 110F (roughly 44C). In the shade. In the shade! So who am I to complain about 30C? If you're in Florida, that's practically winter.

Global warming? What global warming?






No comments:

Post a Comment