Friday 7 July 2023

Fight Club...Fight Week...Fight Life

 Now is when I really needed my suit of armor, shield and sword. Maybe a very large hammer. Last week I went into battle-unarmed except for my strong and sometimes very blunt tongue. And did it work? Hell, no, I'm still in combat. I seem to be always in combat.

A week ago (Monday) I decided to cancel an order for a sofabed from a store called John Lewis. If you live here (my sympathies) and shop here, You'll know the store. You'll also know that the employees pride themselves on good service, good merchandise, etc, etc. Everybody wants to be upmarket. Except- they aren't.

I cancelled the order on the Monday, and that started a ridiculous amount of time trying to get a refund. I realized that, when it comes to John Lewis, the left hand doesn't know (or care) what the right hand is doing. Every day (including infusion day) I was on the phone, chasing customer service for a refund (nearly £800, so I wasn't going to let it go). Every day I was given a different story-and it was a load of BS, because all they had to do was issue a refund.

On Monday it will be an incredible two weeks since this fight began. I've been in combat mode for nearly two weeks, and JL refuses to issue a refund. And there is no excuse that holds up. I did everything right (I know. I checked. You know by now how much I believe in doing my due diligence). The only thing for me to do is to present myself in the Oxford Street store and refuse to leave until the idiots involved issue a refund. And I told the last person I spoke to yesterday that if I have to do a day trip to John Lewis, I will be very loud-and I will call the tabloids for some backup. So let's see what happens. I'll let you know.

What I find interesting is the fact that people in this country are very quick to take advantage of older people (especially women), and they see someone who is on an elbow crutch and clearly has a mobility challenge- and they will take full advantage of that person. I thought, after so many years, that this only happens here. The truth is that it happens everywhere. 

So I was on strike on Independence Day, and I hope that everyone celebrated! I contacted everyone at home to wish them a happy 4th-as I always do-but I felt like I missed something this year. I did: fireworks! Oh, dear-I'm out of fireworks. July 4th just doesn't seem the same. So in November-when fireworks are sold to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day-I'll just replenish my stock.

Every year-up until the pandemic hit us all- I went with a small group of friends to the nearby park, found an open space (so we wouldn't set the place on fire), and set off fireworks. People actually enjoyed it-and we made sure that we cleaned up quickly and left before we were caught (fireworks on any other day but November 5th are illegal and someone could get arrested. Murderers get off-but anyone celebrating July 4th-well, that's a terrible crime),

So we're now up to date, and I will keep you updated on the John Lewis combat story. Always stick up for yourselves. Always. It's pretty likely that nobody else will.




No comments:

Post a Comment