Wednesday 24 April 2013

It is what it is, and it isn't what it isn't

Another good saying for a bumper sticker, don't you think? And-it has been one of those weeks. Glad it is nearly the weekend-although, cynic that I am, I wonder what else could happen!!

Monday was Earth Day-not publicized over here, except through a Google Doodle. Love those Google Doodles!! Yesterday was St. George's Day-I discovered that by seeing an absolutely gorgeous Google Doodle. Lovely. And where is St. George when we really need him? Where is the man, here to slay dragons, lay waste to terrorists and pedophiles, beat the crap out of rapists and all manner of felons? Where is he? Out to lunch? Playing golf? At the movies? What a damp squib. I protest. We all should demand a refund.

This, of course, brings me to the Boston Massacre. I cannot avoid saying something about that. When have you known me to avoid saying something about anything? I heard about the bombings on the news-of course-there was extensive media coverage over here, and everyone everywhere must know what happened-unless there are people wandering around with their heads up their behinds. Or-up someone else's behinds (ewww!).

I was so upset, I just didn't know what to say. What do you say? It reminded me of 9/11: innocent people brutally murdered by fundamentalist maniacs who have no regard for human life. Personally, I believe that those feeble excuses for human beings should be rounded up and exterminated. Forgive them? Screw that.

I went along to the Unitarian Church on Sunday, wondering what Andy would say in his sermon. Some events need to be discussed, and this was one of them. Andy didn't disappoint, although I disagree with some of the things he said. But I take a hard line on mass murder.

Andy spoke about love being simple, but not easy. Christ preached loving and turning the other cheek, and all that-and look what happened to him? And the world? Not too successful, I'd say. Martin Luther King-we all know how he ended up. Not being funny, but these men had to deal with-people. And where you have people, you find inconsistency, character flaws, and fundamentalism. And murder. Nobody is perfect, but some people are just plain evil.

Andy is a minister, and I think all (normal) ministers will talk about forgiveness, and remind us that the perpetrators of atrocities like the Boston bombings are still human, regardless of their actions. He said that the one brother who was found hiding in a boat in someone's backyard was probably frightened, bleeding, perhaps feeling remorse. Too late for remorse, and I don't really believe that. If he felt anything he wouldn't have taken part in the first place.

It's very easy for someone who isn't involved in anything like this to feel compassion, love, forgiveness, etc. When it is your child, or sibling, or parent, partner, someone close to you-how easy is it to feel "love" - or, indeed, anything friendly toward the people responsible? I couldn't. If it was my child, or husband (well, maybe not my husband! LOL only joking), I wouldn't be playing let's be saintlike and forgive them. I'd want to take them to a public place, beat the living crap out of them, then cut them into pieces and feed them to the fish - or the pigs - or Mel Gibson.

It seems to me that we should stop funding wars in other countries-stop sticking our noses into places where we don't belong-stop giving money and weapons (weapons!! Are we stupid??) to people who will, eventually, use them against us-and start being more vigilant at home. Sadly, we will all (not only in America, but in Canada-as they just found out this week-and every place else) need to be more than a little watchful, perhaps (sadly) not so innocent and naive and more slightly paranoid- and start watching out for ourselves and each other. If our governments won't protect us, we must protect ourselves. And kick them the hell out of office.

Pardon me while I go and sharpen my walking stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment