Monday 19 August 2013

Never underestimate the value of fighting for your rights-whatever it takes!

It pays to be pushy. It pays to fight for your rights-when it comes to your health, your life, you just have to fight. I suppose you also need to know when you won't win, and when to walk away. This time, I didn't walk away.

On Friday, I wanted to go outside the ward and practice using my crutches. I know I need to keep walking-not only to strengthen my legs for the operation (which is tomorrow. Yikes!!!!), but because neuroplasticity only works on the balance if I keep walking and challenge my brain to make those all-important neural pathways. So I walk. Or-I did. A very nasty nurse told me that I was banned from leaving my room.

What?? I said that I had been walking outside the hospital when I was on the other (Mackinnon) ward. So what was the problem? She said that I am an NHS patient, and the only reason I was moved to the private Newman ward was because it was unsafe for me to be out of the room. So back to the room I went-fuming. And I said that was ridiculous-I also said there is no need to be so nasty.

Then-a nurse came in and said I would probably be moved to another ward after the surgery, if not before. And I went ballistic. This was where the fun really started. I will keep it brief (ish).

I went back and forth with the junior doctor-Sam-who is, I suppose, the equivalent of an intern. The registrar had gone home, having torn the ligaments in his ankle by running and falling over (obviously I am not the only klutz in the neighbourhood!). Sam finally told me that she had spoken with the bed manager, and he told her that private patients came first, and that if a private patient came  in and needed the room, I would have to return to a normal (NHS) ward.Hah!

I said -somewhat sarcastically-that I understand that the hospital is only interested in money, but my concern is my life and my physical safety. Sam said-somewhat nonchalantly-that even if I had to return to another ward, the bathroom would be clean. I said-like the MacKinnon ward was clean? Sam is very impatient and somewhat fraught-she said I would be okay, then left the room.

I stewed over this for about half an hour, then rang the nurse and told her I wanted her to page Sam. She asked why. I said I am considering cancelling the surgery. Half an hour later, Sam stormed into the room. She proceeded to inform me that everyone had worked very hard to organize the rooms, the surgery, everything. She said I would be okay, even if they had to move me. I repeated-several times-that my health is too important for me to take any risks. Again, back and forth, and she finally snapped that she was being bleeped constantly and that she had many other patients to see. She repeated that if I had to leave the room, I would be fine. She then said that doctors are not the most powerful people in the hospital; administrators have all the power. Then she left.

What did I do next? And here come the doctors-so I will have to continue this shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment