Wednesday 20 May 2015

These boots are made for walkin'

My computer heard "boots" and "walkin" and decided to go on strike for a few days. Grrr,,,I would have kicked it hard and thrown it out the window-but I probably would have hit some poor passerby on the head and given him a fractured skull. So much for a bit of IT violence.

In between eating-or, rather, stuffing my face-since Wednesday, I took some time to sit and decide what to do on Sunday. I've been sitting on the fence for months. As you know, the minister showed what kind of person he really is on several occasions-not the least on the day he sat in front of me and interrogated me about making my funeral plans. Scuse me?? What kind of minister is that, exactly? And he wouldn't let up for an hour. He just kept pushing. As you do. Or, rather, as he does. Or-did.

I received a group email on Friday-before my system went on strike. Andy send a message to about a dozen people, informing them that there will be a social justice focus group that will meet once a month. He proceeded to say that if anyone wanted to run this group, they should let him know. I'm obviously missing something. I distinctly recall him asking me to lead the social justice team.

So what did I do? Well, I was pissed off, to put it bluntly. In fact, I have been pissed off for several months-at his attitude, his lack of sensitivity, his total ineptitude as a minister. So, I rang my phone service provider and changed my home number, and made sure that my number is also blocked on outgoing calls. Then I decided that Sunday would be my last service. I normally don't suffer fools-in any way, shape or form-but I did suffer the minister. I won't ever make that mistake again. I remember what my mother said about volunteering: NEVER volunteer for anything.

I went along to the service, and there were some people I haven't seen in awhile, so I had a chance to say hello. And goodbye. And when I practically sprinted out the door, I had a feeling I haven't had in a couple of years: I felt unencumbered. I felt that my volunteer status had been taken from me, and not very ethically-but now I didn't need to become aggravated because nobody else seemed at all interested. In fact, I felt free.

There is nothing like feeling-like being-free. Andy is a pile of crap-but he did me a favor. I've also learned a lot about trust. Just because someone is a trained minister, it doesn't mean he is honorable. So that is the end of the Unitarian Church-and I don't know if I will be looking to join another one.

All these things occurred to me as I practically skipped down the road toward the bus back home.

If I ever mention the words "volunteer" and "social" and "justice" in the same sentence, someone please lock me in a room with a few gallons of Starbucks and a hundredweight of Kettle Chips. And keep me there until the mood passes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment