Friday 21 July 2023

Crashing and Burning: The rise, fall and rise again of yours truly

 I'm dragging myself around and feeling like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards. It's been like that since I last wrote. 

You would hope that all the consultants would see me on the same day-in the same week-but no, that would be an ideal world. An ideal world would be not having to see any consultants at any time-ever. But I am getting closer. I've been informed that the vestibular condition is quite permanent; the dizziness is chronic, I should make sure that someone is caring for me just in case I catapult myself down the stairs again. As if!

I'm relatively discharged from anything to do with neuro-otology. The consultant feels that there is nothing more that can be done. Such optimism is so encouraging. I've got an appointment with him next May. So I've got some time to prove that he's very, very mistaken. Unless I'm living in cloud cuckoo land, I've got a few months to increase the amount and duration of my eye exercises. I also really need to have a positive attitude to prove everyone associated with vestibular medicine that I can heal myself, and that I'm not giving up. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

This week I went along to another hospital to have the loop recorder removed from my chest. The loop recorder was inserted nearly four years ago; it isn't a pacemaker, but merely a heart beat monitor. Every time I had a tachycardia attack it measured the number of heartbeats and the length of the attack. It was incredibly valuable; I had the ablation-the first one that failed-because the attacks were dangerously long, and increasingly frequent. Same again for the second ablation. But the battery decided to die a few months ago, and the thing was sitting in my chest, deceased (thank goodness it was deceased, and I'm not!). So I made enough noise to have it removed. 

That was a laugh. The person who removed it was a nurse, being trained in loop recorder removal, and she kept losing the part that needed to be pulled in order to remove the whole thing. She kept digging. I finally asked whether she was used to doing these procedures. All she did was glare. So I decided that discretion being the better part of valor meant: shut up.

That was on Wednesday. On Thursday morning I did a route march into the West End-and I bought a new laptop. My old one was twelve years old, was brilliant, and I used it every day. But it expired just before lockdown. So I had to use my phone-and then the library's computers. The problem with going to the library is that a lot of people are thinking the same thing, so I have to get there when they open. Another problem is that-and I learned this from actually seeing it for myself, which was disgusting-people will wipe their noses with their hands and then use the keyboard. Gross. Made me wonder what else they wiped with their hands before (and, in some cases, during) using the keyboard. I always used an antibacterial wipe before I used the computer. Ewww... but I finally went to get my own. Hooray-that's all I have to say.

Actually, it isn't all I have to say-because I now have to figure out how to use it! It isn't like my old one. This one requires double-tapping. Double-tapping!! What????

You see where I said rise again. I now have to use the little grey cells and sit patiently-and we all know that I was born without patience-to work out what is supposed to go where. I have to admit that sitting and getting used to a brand new computer that doesn't behave the way my old one did-fourteen years ago!!-is going to be a challenge. I've always been up for a challenge. Now I've got several. 

I'll let you know how it goes. It's possible that it's going to drive me to drink...








No comments:

Post a Comment