Wednesday 15 February 2012

Either a miracle, or beware lots of bruises!

I went to see my neurologist (who will always be known-behind his back, of course-as Dr. Dimples) yesterday. I have to admit, I was distracted by the dimples. Oh, well - he IS my doctor. And he is probably much too young for me. But, I can have my own little fantasies. At this point, fantasies seem a lot more enjoyable than reality!

He said: no more stick. No tripod, no single point stick (cane), no support at all unless I am having a very bad day - or it snows, or rains. Why? Because I have had a support aid for 18 months, and if I really want that magic 80% back, I will have to work harder for it. In other words: walk without help, and if people push me, no swearing at them, no matter how much I want to do so!!

Eeek!! I am really nervous about this. In fact, today I carried the stick, and I was very dizzy and my balance was nil. I understand why he (and my physiotherapist) said that the balance, vertigo and loss of focus are substantially worse when I am nervous or upset.

Still - I want that 80%. In fact, I want more than that if it is at all possible (I know: I'm very greedy!). To do that, I will have to step up and take risks. Dimples said yesterday that I have to work harder and longer. It has only been 18 months, he said. ONLY!! I see him again in August-two years after the whole event occurred. I want to walk in there with normal gait, and no vertigo, and no eye problems. So-we'll see. This is a real challenge-and I never back away from a challenge!! Maybe I should buy knee pads?

No comments:

Post a Comment