Thursday 10 January 2013

Inquiring minds need to know this

Yesterday, the London Underground officially turned 150 years old-well, happy birthday to the Underground. If you are an anorak (like I am), you will, of course, want to know where the first line started and where it finished.

The first route began at Paddington Station and ended at Farringdon (I haven't worked out the mileage yet. Watch this space-that is, of course, if I can be bothered). I understand that it was extremely dirty, smelly, overcrowded-and, naturally, late. Isn't it heartwarming to know that, after one hundred and fifty years, nothing has changed!!! Dirty, smelly, overcrowded, always late...that is our underground system. Oh, well-at least, we can count on its unreliability!! And we get all across London, even if it costs a fortune to get there. Hey, it could be worse: we could have to walk it. So, happy 150th birthday, and I hope someone sorts it all out before the underground turns-well, shall we say, 200?

Yesterday I was summoned to the hospital for an ultrasound. Nobody could explain why I really needed an ultrasound; they just wanted me to trek to the hospital to have one. Unfortunately, nobody has yet come up with the ultrasound goo that doubles as a moisturizer, or an anti-wrinkle cream! I did mention it to the technician who was administering the test-at least he smiled, although he did look at me as if I was a little strange.

Really-that would take multi-tasking to a new level: you wouldn't need to spend ten minutes wiping off the gel, only to have to go home and throw all your clothes into the washing machine. Just rub in the gel, knowing that your wrinkles will dissolve! It seems like a good idea anyway.

Was anything wrong? Of course not. At least I know that I have a lot of organs that function perfectly. That is something that the two idiots didn't destroy two years ago. And-speaking of idiots- Phil not-so-Bright is busy crippling his patients at Southmead Hospital in Bristol. Jess, the nurse who told me that Nurse Ratched walked in front of a bus, emailed me to tell me. So, if anyone knows anyone in the Bath/Bristol area, please warn them!!

Naturally, if you have someone you really despise (the mother-in-law? The noisy neighbor from Hell? The neighborhood psychopath? Whoever...), this information will come in very handy indeed.

(I nearly forgot: this is a new year, so I don't hate anyone...well, January is only ten days old, so I can have an oops! day, can't I?)

I actually turned my head quickly and didn't fall over-which might not seem a big deal to anyone else, but it is a VERY big deal to me-not to mention to all the black and blue marks that seem to be permanent parts of my anatomy!! I just have to keep doing everything that makes me dizzy and fall over - until I stop getting dizzy and falling over.

Perhaps I need more padding. That's either an excuse to do some redecorating-or to eat. Hmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment