Tuesday 16 October 2012

Que pasa, plonker?

Okay, still practicing my Spanish-now I wish I had moved to Spain for a year or two and learned the language-actually, when I was a teenager, I remember one of my father's patients coming into the office and declaring that she was moving to Puerto Rico to work in a hotel. She spoke no Spanish; she didn't speak very good English, either (she was Russian). I thought how brave of her!!!

Don't you know she came back for a visit a year later, came in for a checkup, and looked fantastic! I was there at the time, taking over for my father's nurse (out sick)-and Alice spoke fluent Spanish. I certainly made a big mistake!! I could have been bilingual. Plonker? Hmmmmm, not really. I went off to university instead - and my life has been pretty good! (I still wish I'd learned a second language!)

I've seen nearly everyone, jet lag or no jet lag. I went to the mall on Friday-and I went on my own-and took the afternoon to seek out some things I need that I can't find over in the UK. I didn't find everything I wanted, but I still have time!

I hung out with my friend Diane on Saturday, and we went to this store-you would not believe this store!! It is huge - bigger than the superstores in the UK, and they don't sell clothing, or toasters, or anything like that. They sell food. And the food is incredibly fresh-rows and rows of fruit, and vegetables, whole aisles devoted to olive oils - olive oils!!! I didn't know there were so many olive oils. There was even an entire section devoted to pickles. So I bought a few half sour pickles - they don't exist over in the UK. Amazing!! I have now satisfied my pickle needs...And I've been having a bagel (a real bagel, not the disgusting garbage the Brits serve up and call a bagel) for breakfast every morning. So I've satisfied my bagel needs, too!!

I'm waiting for Diane to collect me so we can go and explore a store called BJs-it's like Costco (which is now in the UK). I like going through those places, even though I probably won't buy anything.

There is so much more to tell-and I'll get back online later.

No comments:

Post a Comment